Theft, fraud or scam whatever may be the name these are the ones which leave us with loss when met. These exist everywhere so, be careful. We need to have some awareness regarding how these were happening and how can we avoid them.
Here are some tips for you all to avoid such scams.
- Avoid responding to the unknown sender’s message or call asking for your contact information or financial information.
- Be careful while creating your password. Avoid anything that can be easily discovered by the thieves. Better to use combined letters and numbers as your passwords. Ask for little more assistance from your financial institutions in providing protection for your account.
- Avoid storing your passwords or other account information in your wallets. It is easy for a criminal to rob your wallet and get all the information. Store all the password information and other important information in a secure place.
- While taking a loan get all the details regarding the payment, interest and other policies like PPI. If they are legal they will provide us with every information about the loan and how to reclaim and claim back PPI. And moreover they don’t ask us to pay any amount in advance in order to get the loan.
- When your credit or debit card was stolen, immediately inform it to the card provider about the loss. This not only prevents fraudulent charges but also helps to notify if your card is used again.
- When shopping online make sure that you have logged off completely after your online transactions.
- When you have some doubt with the authenticity of the email message from the company you are doing business with better avoid clicking on the link. Instead, type the URL of the company into the address bar and proceed.
- If you have posted some products for online auction then don’t accept overpayment. They will send the check and they will ask you to pay the difference back through wire. Later on the check may bounce and you may loss the money you wired. So avoid such things.
- Sometimes you will get emails and messages that you won the lottery and to receive the prize amount you need to pay some amount. Avoid such mails as you never need to pay anything to collect your winnings.
- Check out your credit report regularly. Ask your providers to send you your weekly report and an alert if any significant change has happened. Respond quickly to those alerts so that you can check and have peace of mind if everything is fine.
Neo Zack is a Tech writer from London with an interest in topics relating to Insurance, Finance, and green living. You can follow him @financeport on Twitter.